Krosp Campaign
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings

5 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Empty Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings

Post  Admin Sat May 21, 2011 5:19 am

IT'S TIME FOR ADVENTURE

The party:
Shara Khan, female Human Sorcerer
Jack Steele, male Elf Avenger
Shathys, male Shadar-Kai Ranger

Please keep all OOC (Out Of Character) chat in spoilers, so we can keep track of what your characters are saying.
Spoiler:
Same goes for all dice rolling.

Whenever a roll is required, just roll it yourself using either real dice or the WotC Dice Roller. I trust that you have the willpower to resist the urge to cheat on any of the rolls - even that natural 1 on that awesome Daily power.

I hope to see daily posts from you all, but I won't boss you around. The game flows more smoothly if we all post regularly, so please make sure to check the thread at least a couple of times per day.

There will probably be a lot more focus on the roleplaying than usual, so feel free to talk to each other in character at any time.

I've never run a game like this, so I have no idea how it will work out or, indeed, if it will.

Combat

The combat here is a little different from the tabletop version. You know the defenses and HP of your enemies - to make the combat easier and faster - and you need to post your attacks and such on your turn.

A typical battle would go like this: I'll give you some general information about the battle (what the area looks like, who's there and so on) and post a battle map. I will also post a list detailing the names, defenses and HP of the enemies. This map will have 1, 2, 3 etc. down the y axis and A, B, C etc. along the x axis. After everyone has rolled initiative, we start the combat. A single turn might look like this:

Kellus reacts more quickly than his companions to the thug's attacks, moving past Bublo and Alead and arriving at a vantage point that will allow him to sling spells with a view of all his enemies. He draws on his fractured impressions of the caverns of his people, summoning an odd radiance around his chosen foe. The recollections of a small child prove unequal to the task of summoning the Darkfire, though, and it sputters out without effect.

Undaunted, Kellus summons the magic the flows through his blood. His own power proves more reliable than that of his people as the air shimmers around his staff, warping the fabric of reality and summoning a bolt of brilliant light that streaks toward his enemy. It slams into the thug with a palpable crunch, leaving him unbloodied, but clearly injured.

Spoiler:

House Rules

Here's the current list of house rules:

• You receive the appropriate weapon Expertise as a bonus feat.

• You receive the appropriate Melee Training as a bonus feat.

• Immediate Reaction/Interrupt powers and Opportunity Attacks are taken after they normally would. If Player A moves past Monster B, thereby provoking an attack of opportunity, the attack itself is not resolved until the beginning of Monster B's turn. Even if the Opportunity Attack drops Player A to 0 or less hit points, the attacks he made between the triggering of the OA and the damage from it are not removed.

Companion Characters and Extra Powers:
Spoiler:

A few rules and guidelines:
Spoiler:

Setup

Here's the background. Give it a gander, won't you?
Spoiler:

Sandpoint At a Glance
Spoiler:

Your characters find themselves in the city of Sandpoint. You are in attendance, for whatever reason, at the Swallowtail Festival on the first day of autumn in. For five years, the faithful of Sandpoint have attended church in smaller wooden structures rebuilt after a fire destroyed the previous temple, and while their new pastor Abstalar was helpful, kind, and wise, church wasn't the same. Now, the new cathedral is finally done. All that remains is for the Swallowtail Festival to renew the site’s blessings from the gods and it will be as if the Sandpoint Fire had never occurred.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:18 am; edited 8 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://krosp.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Empty Re: Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:48 am

And here is where all our trouble started...

The sun sits high on a bright blue sky, and though autumn is just around the corner, the air is pleasantly warm in the city of Sandpoint. A brisk wind carries the smell of salt from the sea, mingling with the smells of exotic spices, roast meat and animals. The streets are filled with excited people, laughing children and barking dogs. Merchants are gathered in the main square, eagerly presenting their wares to the equally eager potential buyers. It is the first day of autumn, and the Swallowtail Festival has just begun.

Spoiler:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Empty Re: Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings

Post  SigneGT Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:22 am

In a rather isolated corner of the market place a young woman is examining the lavish jewelery shown in one of the stands. The owner, a rather suspiciously looking fellow, encourages her to buy every little gem in his (probably not completely legal) stand, but she seems distracted somehow.

Although her eyes thoroughly examines every gem in every ring, her thoughts are definitely not in Sandpoint or anywhere near the Swallowtail Festival. A small lizardlike creature with scales like opals is running around her ankles, there is no doubt that this woman deals in the arts of magic.

If you were to read this young womans thoughts in this moment of her life, you would see wild dreams about adventures, success and perhaps redemption for past misdeeds. As these thoughts circle through her head, the almost slimy looking shop keeper stops talking to her when he sees her eyes changing colour almost like the ocean on a stormy day.
SigneGT
SigneGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:11 am

Jack looked down at his notebook, looked back up in disbelief, looked down again, turned a few pages, looked back up. "Really? Is this what I travelled this far for? By Iouns eye do they even have public outhousing?" He walked a few paces and was greeted by a mirror and a welcome sign. Jack looked at the welcome sign and muttered under his breath: "Pretentious peasants.. Now I've seen everything." He sighed, renewed his waning smile, and strode on in what he judged a striking manner.

"Father Zantus... Father Zantus... where might you be?" Jack whispered as he flipped through his notebook. Do these people even have a church? he thought as he wandered around the town, trying to find the high-priest.
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:31 am

Jack:
It doesn't take you long to track down Father Zantus. Abstalar Zantus - Sandpoint's new high-priest - is a kindly man with a receding hairline and dark eyes. He is conversing with two young men - perhaps his acolytes - and as you approach, you overhear the a few words.

"...in the thousands!" He says. "They have truly done a marvelous job."

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Father10
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:40 am

Jack raises a hand in greeting and gives him his best expression of a warm smile. "Zantus, I presume?" He says. "I bring greetings from Abbot Brakkus." He slips him a letter with the abbot's seal, detailing his arrival.
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  SigneGT Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:54 am

With no idea where to go or how to go about this "adventuring" business, Shara finds herself wandering aimlessly around the stalls of the festival. Her only company being the dragonling familiar she has, a little not very dragonlike being called Osmus.

"Well, a good start would probably be to find a place to sleep, eat and safely store my luggage" she thinks to herself while Osmus mumbles little rhymes in draconic.

Spoiler:
SigneGT
SigneGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:27 am

Jack:

Father Zantus smiles and takes the letter.

"Oh, yes, thank you." He says. "I'm afraid you've arrived on a day where I'm most terribly busy, so our conversation will have to wait. For now, please do enjoy our festival." He gestures at a series of brightly coloured stands with a variety of games and competitions. "I promise you'll enjoy yourself!"

Shara:

You quickly find your way to The Rusty Dragon, notable for the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building's roof. As you step inside, you find that the inn is nearly empty. Most villagers must be out on the festival grounds. Behind the counter stands a young human woman. Her upper arms are covered in intricate tattoos and colourful threads and beads are interwoven with her amber hair. Above the bar hangs a sign that reads "discount rooms for anyone who tells an exciting adventure story."

"'Ello love," she says as you walk in. "What'll it be?"

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Gould_11
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SigneGT Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am

"Oh, b-but.. I.. I was looking for a room" Shara stutters. "But i've never done any adventuring, that's what i'm here for. I don't know any stories. No wait! I think i may know one".

Shara takes off her grey wollen cloak, sits down in a nearby chair and starts singing an old Chelaxian song about adventures and gold.

"Once lived in Chelaxian a greedy lad,
he would do anything in his power
give all that he had
for fame and gold,
for ale and food
For this lad named Jonathan
it wasn't about gratitude"

Shara continues to talk about Jonathan's adventures in a land far away. About how he gathered an adventuring party, earned enough gold to keep him a wealthy man for the rest of his life. And about how he lost it all, because of his greed and paranoia towards his "friends".

"I'm afraid i don't know any other stories. My family isn't really about the storytelling and coziness of a homely fire..."

Spoiler:

Last edited by SigneGT on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
SigneGT
SigneGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:51 am

"...Of course." Jack says. "I will see you later."
Jack sets about to wander around the booths, not really caring about the physical activities, when he spots a man playing dice.
His interested piqued, he starts watching the game from a distance.
Spoiler:
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 am

Shara:

The young woman laughs and applauds. "Lovely," she says. "You have a great voice! Reckon you could make a career from singin'." She waves her hand dismissively. "Anyway, you've certainly earned a discount. Five silver will get you a room for a week and complimentary breakfast."

Jack:

You find no trickery in the man's dice game, but you get the sense that you could certainly win a few coins if you'd care to try.

Spoiler:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:13 am

"My good man, I will have a try at the dice, if you please" he smiles at the man, and sits on the stool in front of the booth.
Jack takes up the cup and shakes it with the confidence of a trained dice player. With the sound of heavens the cup slams on the table, he pulls it up and it shows... 1 and 1...
"Blast it Avandra, come on now!" he mutters
"I merely have to warm up." he assures the man and takes up the cup again.
"Come on now, double six, double six."
Spoiler:
With a sneer he flips the coins he owes to the man, and takes off.
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  SigneGT Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:18 am

"That sounds great!" Shara exclaims with a sincere smile on her face. "I'll move my bags in there right away".

After having moved her luggage into the well-earned room in the inn, Shara sets out to learn something about Sandpoint and what possible work she might find there.

In an attempt to find a source of valid information, she stumbles upon a small boy in ragged clothing.

"Hi there. Are you interested in making a few coins?" Shara whispers at him with a smile. "You see, i am looking for information, and you look capable of telling me everything i need. You also look like a businessman, which is exactly why i intend to pay you"

Shara winks at the little boy and places a shiny silver coin in the boy's grubby hand.

Spoiler:
SigneGT
SigneGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:33 am

Jack:

"Tell your friends!" The dice man calls as he pockets his newfound coins.

Shara:

The Homeless Street Urchin's eyes go wide at the prospect of such wealth. His smiles widely and starts talking so fast you have trouble following.

"You know the sheriff, right, he's shackin' up with missus Kaye over from the Pixie's Kitten an' rumor goes that the new cathedral is protected from fire by magic! Oooh, and Roger swears on his mum's life that he saw goblins stealing scrap down at the junktoss after nightfall. He says they're using it to build a trash golem. I'm Buddy, by the way. Can I have another coin?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:00 am

Spoiler:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:04 am

Best get to work then.. damn dice. Jack thinks.
He walks around the city, trying to get a sense of the various entrance points whilst looking for suspicious activities/people.
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  Francis Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 pm

"Amidst the colours and joviality Of the fair. Laughter fills the air from one of the many taverns, the usual mix of tavern goers, barmaids and in general those looking for a good time while spirits are high in the festival. 

It is here we come across a strange sight, an odd looking fellow to the locals, though the reason of this person being here did not affect the joy of the festival as he joined in the merry making and laughing while listening to a skilled bard sing a rather interesting tale to do with a lady of a certain free disposition. 

The strange fellow is a Shadar Kai by the name of Shathys, his white dreadlocks tied in a pony tail. A tattoo across his face telling of one of his greatest feats. 

As a particularly vivid part of the story was sung the tavern erupted in laughter.

A chorus of backslapping and mug clashing followed as the rest of the tale made it's way.

"What a queer notion." Shathys thought, "They tell tales with words rather than marks, I find these people interesting, perhaps this journey was not lost after all."

And so once the final verse of the song was sung, Shathys stood up and unsteadily made his way to the door, the so called "Ale" that he was given provided a strange effect that he had never experienced. "Well then," Shathys said "Let's see what we can see." and with that, stumbled out the door into the fair.

Spoiler:
Francis
Francis

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:03 am

Spoiler:

You spend a few minutes taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the festival, until your attention - along with everyone else's - is caught by a woman standing on a newly built wooden stage in the middle of the square.

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Kendra10
Kendra Deverin

"Can I have everyone's attention, please," she shouts. "It's time for the opening speeches!"

As people gather around the stage, the woman motions for silence. When the muttering has died down, she speaks.

"Ladies and gentleman," she calls with a broad smile. "Welcome to the Swallowtail Festival! For those of you who haven't been here long, I'm Kendra Deverin, the mayor. I would like to welcome all of our visitors to our lovely little town, and I hope you enjoy this time as much as the rest of us surely will. We're all very proud of our new cathedral, and this celebration is as grand a blessing as we could hope for. We still have a few speakers to get through, so I won't keep you any longer. Please welcome Sheriff Belor Hemlock."

Rise of The Runelords 1 - Burnt Offerings Belor_10

To scattered applause, Mayor Deverin steps aside to let a large, bald, grim-faced man take the stage.

"Thank you," he says. "I would like to remind you all to be safe around this evening bonfire. Fire has claimed enough lives in our town already, we don't need another tragedy. I would like to ask for a moment's silence, to remember those who lost their lives in the fire that caused so much grief five years ago."

To your surprise, the entire village falls into complete silence for a moment. Even the sound of the wind and waves seem to die down.

"Thank you," the sheriff says and makes his exit.

A flamboyantly dressed man with long, flowing golden hair jumps onto the stage and introduces himself as Cyrdak Drokkus. He quickly brings the crowd's mood back up with his rousing anecdotes as he delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went though to finance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self-promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of "The Harpy's Curse," revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva, Allishanda!

Finally, after much applause, Father Zantus himself takes the stage.

"Hello everyone," he says. "I'd like to tell you a story." As he talks, a few of his acolytes wheel a large covered wagon into the square. "Once upon a time, there was a great war amongs the gods. Melora, the goddess of the wilderness, the sea and nature was thrown from the heavens and fell to our world. There, she was found by a blind child who nursed her back to health. As a reward for her kindness, Melora transformed the child into a beautiful and immortal butterfly."

At his signal, the acolytes pull aside the wagon's cover, releasing the thousand children of Melora - a furious storm of thousands and thousands swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of colours to a great cheer from the crowd. The sun is reflected through their great wings, bathing the entire square in an ever-shifting pattern of colours. Children laugh and futilely chase the butterflies, never quite quick enough to catch them.

"And now," Father Zantus calls over the fluttering of the butterflies, "It's time to find the champion of the Swallowtail Festival!"

The Championship of the Swallowtail Festival is a competition based on five games:
- The Devil Hunt
- The Goblin Toss
- The Lighthouse Smash
- The Dragon Races
- Catch The Greased Pig

It will work a little differently from a normal skill challenge, but it should still be fairly simple.

For each game, you each make a skill check of your choice. If you beat the easy DC (11), you score 0 points. If you beat the normal DC (15), you score 1 point. If you beat the hard DC (19), you score 2 points. If you fail a skill check (10 or below) you lose 1 point. It's up to you do describe what happens.

This will result in 15 checks total. You cannot use the same skill twice in a row, and you can't use the same skill that the person before you just used. There's no need for initiative, it's just first come, first serve. Once you've all made a skill check, we'll move on to the next game.

You're not required to attend the competition, but if you don't, you're a loser.

Without further ado:

Round 1: Fight!

The Devil Hunt

Do you have what it takes to bring down the infamous Sandpoint Devil and keep him from menacing the surrounding area? Take a shot and find out! This is an archery range set up on the beach down by the lighthouse. A large target painted to look like a demonic, winged horse is set up fifty yards away from a firing line. The bull's-eye is about where a horse's heart would be.

Good luck!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:43 am

"pffft, an archery range. I've been training with a bow and arrow since I was but 50 years old!" Jack reclaims. "Hand over the bow and I'll show you peasants how it's done."

Jack breathes slower and slower, in the end he's completely quiet and he almost seems like a statue, only his hair moves slightly in the breeze. Without anyone realizing it, the arrow thuds exactly into the bulls-eye.
"Phew." Jack whispers. "haven't done that in years."
Spoiler:
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  SigneGT Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:51 am

"I think you've had enough money for one day Buddy, but i might come and talk to you later." Shara pats the little orphan on the head and moves towards the crowds.

Intrigued by the competetion Shara thinks to herself "Oh. This might be the perfect opportunity to meet some new people and gain a little renown"

Shara knows better than anyone how horrible she is at shooting, but hey, who said that she can't use what's she's good at to win. With that in mind, she does a little flip with her wrist before shooting at the target.

Spoiler:

She barely hits the target, but at least it isn't a miss.
SigneGT
SigneGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Francis Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 am

Intrigued by the prospect of a challenge, Shathys makes his way to the archery contest, the grogginess from the accursed ale is beginning to fade as he is handed a bow and one arrow.

Standing still, feeling a gentle breeze caress his face, Shathys draws the bow and with a low growl lets an arrow fly with a twang.

The arrow flies true and pierces through the beasts heart

Spoiler:
Francis
Francis

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:15 am

Few of the villagers are experienced archers, and almost everyone misses the target completely. Everyone, that is, except a select few. Three outsiders - an elf, a young woman and a decidedly strange-looking Shadar-kai - all pass with little trouble and much applause.

Current score:
Jack: 2 points
Shethys: 2 points
Shara: 1 point

Round 2: The Goblin Toss

Three Goblins have found their way into your house and are tearing the place up! Grab them and toss them into the fireplace before they can destroy everything.

A large, padded square arena is set up in the middle of the Sandpoint market square. The arena is 30 across, and a large barrel filled with water is set in each of the 4 corners, with flames painted on the sides. In the arena itself, 3 children dressed in heavily padded goblin costumes are running around, laughing and falling over themselves.

You must catch all 3 "Goblins" and throw them into the barrels of water. At the moment when all 3 are in the barrels at the same time, you win. The "Goblins" are allowed to try and escape the barrels, so be swift! Good luck!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Le kek Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:21 am

"Really? I have to throw children into barrels of water... Why am I even here.." Jack grumbles to himself

Before going in, Jack watches the children for a moment, trying to figure out the most optimal way of getting them all in barrels, their movement patterns and so on. He walks in the arena, the children running around all over the place, he grabs one, sees another one in his peripheral view, snaps out with a hand and grabs the little bugger around the waist. After they're both in their barrels he turns to the other two. With an unnatural agility he speeds across the arena and gets hold of one, throws him in a barrel and finally he gets the last one. With a sigh he straightens up and looks behind him. A very wet "goblin" got up from his barrel and is now running around, albeit a bit sluggy, weighted down from his decidedly wet costume. "No!" jack exlaims. After a few seconds, he's back in his barrel though.
Spoiler:
Le kek
Le kek

Back to top Go down

Post  SigneGT Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 am

"Children" Shara whispers to herself. "I can deal with children". She steps into the enclosed area and gets to it.

With determination Shara walks closer to the children. She looks at each one and says: "Isn't it warm in those pesky goblin suits? Have you ever wondered how nice it would be to just jump in the water and get soaked? You know, you could throw the wet goblin ears at annoying people you know afterwards..."

Spoiler:

An unconventional but very effective method.
SigneGT
SigneGT

Back to top Go down

Post  Francis Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:59 am

Frowning slightly to himself..."Those aren't real goblins...what an odd game."

Very calm and business like Shathys begins to coil around a length of rope grinning slightly to himself. "they never said we couldn't MAKE them stay still."

Taking off his shirt and folding it neatly before releasing a shrill warcry and charging the "goblins" 

The battle was brutal but short lived. Smiling cheerily to himself as he dons his shirt, selectively not hearing the rapping coming from inside the barrels secured with rope. 

Spoiler:
Francis
Francis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum